Applications of Creativity and Innovation
PROF. MICHAEL J. MCNAMARA
ROLE MODEL CONSULTATION (25% of total Grade)
DUE DATE: Consult course outline
· The purpose of the Role Model Consultation Assignment is for students to gain a deeper understanding of the practice of creative individuals with a view towards applying these insights to improve creative practice. Students will capture insights, learnings, and reflections in a short 4-5 page (1000 word minimum), paper, 12 point font, APA format; complete with a separate coverpage that includes a word count. Students will also include a separate bibliography with at least 2 academic sources (that are cited in body of the paper). To complete this assignment, students will arrange a 15-25 minute consultation session with a role model of their choosing. Students should structure the questions for their consultation around key points of interest (as defined by the student; aka. What do you want to learn from this person in terms of creative/innovative performance in the 21st Century? What key skills might you develop/focus upon?). While I don’t wish to tell you what to ask, here are some prompts you may choose to focus their consultative discussions on the following:
· What, if anything, does the role model do in their practice to prepare for/entice creative insight?
· What practices or techniques does the role model believe are important for creativity and creative performance?
· What dispositions, aptitudes, or mindsets does the role model believe are important for creativity and creative performance?
· What trends does the role model feel are shaping their field/ the future of their field?
· What advice does the role model have for you in terms of improving your own creative performance and preparing for the future?
· How does these insights align with/support/ or compare with the literature we’ve covered to date on creativity and creative performance?
The Learning Outcomes :
Be the end of this assignment, students will have demonstrated the ability to:
· Identify a deliberate set of individual creative dispositions, habits, practices, and skills to be modeled.
· Appraise the relationship between creativity and innovation
· An role model subject with whom to consult (do not choose your parent or family member)
1. Students may prepare their responses in one of the following formats (choose one):
a. Written submission : A word document, inclusive of a title page (with a word count) with the responses presented in the pages that follow. Please format your document as a double-spaced, Times New Roman Font 12pnt font. I am NOT specifying a word count although student should recognize that the development a comprehensive response capable of achieving a good grade will likely require an effort that will be reflected, in part, in the quantity of the submission (in addition to its’ quality)- probably closer to 1000 words
b. Video Submission : A video submission (creative entries encouraged). Please note that I am NOT specifying a video length requirements. Students should recognize that the development a comprehensive response capable of achieving a good grade will likely require an effort that will be reflected, in part, in both the quantity and quality of the submission (not just in its’ creativity). If video files are too large to make it into the SLATE box… please create/submit the link so that I can view the file. Thanks.—probably closer to 8-10 min works for length
c. Some other creative hybrid : As discussed, I’m also open to receiving mind-maps, open-letters, photo essays, etc… with the caveat that whatever you submit MUST clearly demonstrate an understanding of key course concepts and material
Whatever you choose to submit; students will find a way to include a separate bibliography with at least 2 academic sources (that are cited in body of the paper or the presentation).
Content for the Submission (Subheading guidelines):
While I don’t want to tell you exactly how to do this- here are some topical subheadings that might guide your discussion:
i. Introduction to the Subject: A brief discussion of the subject (who they are/what they do). This section might also include the rationale for your choosing this individual; including an explanation for why this person is deemed to be ‘creative’.
ii. Methods Section: A description of the format for the consultation; including when/where the consultation was held; how long the discussion lasted; and a list of the questions that were asked during the consultation.
iii. Presentation/Discussion of the Findings: In this section, students will present the findings from the consultation (you are encouraged to present “block quotes” as evidence of the subject’s response). Students will also follow presented findings with a short discussion of their interpretation of that findings (ex., how it relates to literature on creativity explored within the course).
iv. Conclusion: A summary section of key insights taken from the consultation.
v. Bibliography: Reference list of sources used/cited in the paper.
1- Did not met learning needs and expectations
2- Somewhat met learning needs and expectations
3- Meets learning needs and expectations
4- Strongly meets learning needs and expectations
5- Surpasses learning needs and expectations
Appropriately polished formatted, grammar, spelling, referencing
Substantive content, insights developed and reflected upon from consultation, use of quotes, robustness of background and findings
Ability to tie consultation findings with texts, theoretical material from the course.
Overall demonstration of analytical capacity, complexity of insights developed and portrayed
Grade for this assignment:
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
This question was first posted at writeden.com!